Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Direct Mail vs. Mailing

Yesterday I ran into a friend who works for a direct mail house here in town. Now I do mailings also so we had a cup of coffee and we talked a bit.

Now he has been in the direct mail industry 25+ years and I have been in it maybe 2 years.

We talked about equipment, and technology and after about 15 min. his comment was, You are in the mailing industry, you are not in the Direct Mail industry!

I said explain.

His comment was if you are doing postcards, with either variable data or just an address this is just mailing as the card itself gives a call to action, but the card is more informative, rather than having the end user do something with the piece!

I somewhat agreed with that statement, but said go on.

Direct mail is a process which gives the end user exactly what they are looking for, and if you are calling an action to either donate money, or purchase an item, the direct mail piece has several pieces and a reason for you to have a call to action.

He said the post card drives people to the Internet to buy. Direct mail has the end user pick up the phone and go!

I say all this, to say I'm in the mailing industry as the campaigns he has done was very awesome.

I'm learning every day

Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment